USE University Challenge
Welcome to the registration process to participate in the USE University Challenge.
The USE University Challenge is open to any Ugandan youth who is enrolled in any higher leaning Institution.
By clicking the "I Accept" button below, YOU AGREE THAT YOU HAVE READ THE SMART YOUTH INVESTMENTS LIMITED'S
TERMS OF SERVICE AGREEMENT, UNDERSTOOD IT AND AGREED TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS SAME AGREEMENT.
Brief of the competition.
The USE University Challenge is an edutainment initiative targeting Ugandan youth in any higher learning institutions. The challenge is an online simulation of live trading at the Uganda Securities Exchange (USE), where each participating student is given a virtual start-up capital to invest using the USE real time information for a period of 3 months. The winner is the individual considered by a panel of judges to have made the most sound Universitydecisions, the highest portfolio value and to have contributed in the discussion forum.
The USE University Challenge is open to any Ugandan youth who is enrolled in any higher leaning Institution in the country.
Targeting and involving Ugandan students in higher learning institutions, the main objectives of the challenge are to develop and encourage the culture of saving and investment, to enhance financial management and entrepreneurial skills, and to create/foster a sense of ownership, teamwork, critical thinking and problem solving among the youth. The challenge also aims at educating youth the prudent process of investment decision making and risk management and in the process, foster links with professional bodies and industry.
The objectives of the USE Investment Challenge:
- Encourage the culture of thrift or saving amongst the youth.
- Teach the risks and gains involved while trading at the Uganda Securities Exchange.
- Popularize stock trading at the Uganda Securities Exchange with the Uganda youth.
- Enhance financial management and entrepreneurial skills among the Uganda youth.
- Create awareness to the participating youth on the need for critical thinking and problem solving before making an investment which includes the prudent process of investment decision making and risk management and in the process, foster links with professional bodies and industry.
The Uganda Securities Exchange Ltd (USE) in partnership with Smart Youth Investments Ltd has embarked on a campaign to provide Investment Education (Financial Literacy) to the youth in Uganda order to encourage them to learn how investing happens on the Uganda Securities Exchange trading floor. It is only through interactive investment education that the youth can learn how to be better investors.
Uganda Securities Exchange Ltd will launch an Investment Challenge called the USE Investment Challenge. The participants of this competition will be Ugandan students in universities and colleges.
Overall Winners will be determined at the end of the competition period. The winning portfolios will be evaluated by an audit panel of judges from the Uganda Securities Exchange and selected industry practitioners. Judges will use a weighted average method of tallying the winning portfolio as follows:
- 50% of the marks: Portfolio Value: For the highest profits on the last day of the competition.
- 30% of the marks: Reasons given for each trade made during the competition.
- 20% of the marks: Comments made by the participant in the online discussion forum on relevant topical issues on the economy.
Winners get exciting prices which range from cash to buy shares on the USE, internships and study tours of companies as well as online participation certificates.
USE Investment Challenge
The USE Investment Challenge is an online competition which involves a simulation of the trading activities that happen around trading in securities listed on the Uganda Securities Exchange (USE). Each participating student will get an online account with virtual start-up capital to trade with using real-time USE Stock prices during the competition period.
Using real time USE data, participants are expected to use the virtual start-up capital to trade in virtual shares, bonds and fixed deposits. Students will be allowed to discuss online on topical issues around the economy.
Targeting and involving Ugandan students in higher learning institutions. (Universities, Colleges, Polytechnics etc)